Few days ago, I blog about overcoming Gear Acquisition Syndrome (G.A.S). I mentioned I defeated the desire to get a new digital camera and had succeeded in suppressing the wants.
I don’t know how much longer I can hold myself.
Yesterday, I attended another session of photography Master class with Pictorial SG. We shoot at National Gallery Singapore. The interior is very impressive, a total heaven for interior photography. As the space is small, the best lens to use is wide angle lens. The widest lens I have is 18-55mm kit lens, which is 27-82.5mm on 35mm equivalent. I feel that I was limited by the kit lens. For a certain shots envisioned, my kit lens couldn’t capture everything. To stand back? The space is limited.
In the end, I only shoot those close-up shot. During our sharing session, the mentor said the black-and-white is so flat on my Nikon semi-pro D3300. Then he showed me a few shot on Fujifilm XT-1, XT-2 and Xpro-2 by fellow mates. Their BW contrast is so good. Furthermore, they all used the wide angle lens 10-24mm. Their shots are amazing!
This is not the first time my mentor has suggested I should change a camera to match my standard. I was tempted since June 2016. The factors that make me reluctant are:
- Price. The body itself is already expensive ($2799 for Xpro-2). Don’t even think about the lens.
- Yes, the lens. It means I need to fork up another chunk of money for lenses.
- The feeling of remorse. A whole chunk of money is gone, what if some financial emergency happens? I might feel happy about my new gear, but it only last for a few weeks. I am sure there will be better cameras coming up, then I will regret it.
- Stress. The stress that the money is gone. I had lots of impulsive buy which most of the time I stressed out when I looked at my bank account.
- I know I will get sick of Xpro2 eventually just like how I feel about my D3300 now.
- I want to learn to be contented.
What tempted me?
- The X’mas promotion. A free 35mm f2 lens for any X-series purchase, including Xpro2. The IT fair deal can’t even beat it. But IT fair gave away free instax camera, which I can sell it away as I already have two. You can see their profit bar as they can afford to give away instax camera which they still earn.
- The beautiful body. I felt the same when I first got my dSLR 5 years ago.
- The beautiful image and the Electronic View Finder, which is what my dSLR is lacking.
So, it seems that the cons is more than pros. Now I need to win my heart as my mind says no, my heart says yes.
Buy experience, not gear. Go travel, not moan in office. My mentor said just don’t go travel I can already buy a Xpro-2. I didn’t debate because I know my travel cost doesn’t even exceed $1000. What does a person who doesn’t like to travel or frequently know? The joy of going new places, seeing new photographic opportunities. It’s in Hong Kong that I feel very motivated to shoot because everything spices up my curiosity. I don’t think I will be happy if I spend on the Xpro2 and stop traveling for a year. Traveling is in my blood. I just cannot stay in a same spot for too long. I need to move.
With this, I hope I can defeat the devil of Xpro-2 calling.